Why I Write by Pati Carlos

I write when I feel a piece of me is missing. I write to learn. I write because it’s air to my lungs. I write to express what I can’t say aloud. I write to remember. I write to avoid the pain. I write to feel through my pain. I write because the paper is the only one willing to listen. I write so I don’t have to speak. I write because if I don’t, I’ll go mad.  I write with the hope that someone will read it and not feel so alone. I write so I don’t feel so alone.  I write because I can put it down in pen better than I can say it. I write to free myself. I write for the sake of the next generation. I write when it feels good. I write when it hurts. I write because I can. I write when I can’t. I write when I am sorry. I write when I’m glad. I write to honor the beauty of the fundamental nature of our existence. I write to forgive myself. I write to ease the burden of the day. I write so I don’t have to cry. I write because I can’t fly. I write like it’s my only chance. I write to laugh. I write to reflect. I write to regret. I write as though it’s my last day on earth. I write because it makes life more bearable. I write because I love it. I write and sometimes I hate it. I write because I am forced to. I write because it can facilitate change. I write so I can plant seeds. I write because I have something to say. I write to make people smile. I write when it rains. I write when the sun shines. I write when the stars glisten. I write to make my parents proud. I write to let it all out. I write knowing it’s all I have. I write to understand the chaos in my head. I write when I wake up. I write when I go to sleep. I write in my sleep. I write when my heart skips a beat. I write to decompress. I write and wear it as a dress. I write so my future lover can understand me. I write when I need a Band-Aid. I write to take my power back. I write when my hair is curly. I write when it’s straight. I write when my eyes are red. I write when I reek of Colorado. I write when I don’t know what else to do. I write so I don’t shout. I write because it makes my heartbeat. I write at 3 a.m. I write at 5 p.m. I write when I miss the love of my life. I write when I realized I f*cked up. I write because I am f*cked up. I write when I am f*cked up. I write like my life depends on it. I wrote yesterday. I write today. I will write tomorrow. I write because it’s mine forever.