The Makings of a Great Internship

Ellie Everett, senior strategic communication major from Fort Worth, Texas

Many corporations boast company culture and promise collaborative challenges — selling themselves to potential interns as the best place to work. For prospective interns, sifting through the job postings and trying to find the “best” internship can be daunting. I found myself asking, “Will this internship be a good fit?” Although not foolproof, after three internships, my experience has taught me what makes a great internship opportunity.

When researching internships, look for companies that have well-developed internship programs. Research on social media to see if the company offers intern events, such as networking or volunteering. Additionally, if the company provides a mentorship program for interns, this is a good marker that it is committed to your career growth. When a company does not have an internship program, which is often the case in small to midsize companies, it is difficult to anticipate what you will experience. One of my three internships had an established training program, and this is the internship which invited me to stay past my original internship end date. Even if the company does not have an internship program, prospective interns can ask during the interview if the company has any “successful” internship stories about interns being hired on after their internship is over. Even if you are not currently seeking a job at this organization, if companies are in the habit of hiring interns, this means they are serious about training interns to be prepared to take on a real job. 

Arguably the number one reason for completing an internship is to gain real-world experience. Many companies advertise their internship opportunities as “more than getting coffee,” but that doesn’t guarantee you will be working on things that gain you valuable experience. Ask what projects interns have completed in the past because that will most likely be what you work on, too. During my internships, I have designed graphics that were published on the company’s social media and researched, compiled, and presented a 40-page competitor analysis. These are examples of work used externally and internally, and each are equally resume building. It is crucial that you leave your internship with evidence of tangible, notable projects that you completed or helped finalize. These projects will demonstrate to your next employer the skills you have demonstrated. Not only are projects important in building your resume, but working on various assignments can help you explore interests. I quickly realized that I do not want to spend my days huddled away coding websites but would rather be communicating to others, presenting, and working in a more public role. I learned this by being open to different project opportunities. This also allows you to figure out your strengths and weaknesses. 

One of the most frustrating experiences in an internship is not having a boss or team that cares about their job because they most likely will not care about yours either. Leadership that provides guidance and feedback on your work is critical for your success. First, be certain you are bold in making sure you understand the tasks required and once you finish the project, that you are open and accept feedback on your progress and final outcome. This is the only way that you can build confidence, improve, and learn. Another marker for a good internship is being treated as part of the team by being included in team meetings and projects. They might not always take your advice, but they will value your input and your contribution to the team. Not only this, but your boss will give you opportunities to experience new things. There were many times that various leaders would invite me to meetings or let me sit in on a call just so I could be exposed to new areas and situations. 

Now that you have everything you need for a successful internship, it’s time to research companies that exhibit these qualities, ask good questions, and be prepared to dive into your new job! Who knows, maybe one day you’ll get to hire and manage an intern and you’ll want to be the intern that your future self would hope for.