The Power of a Signature Scent

Maggie McLaughlin, senior strategic communication major from South Bend, Indiana

I find myself smelling perfumes and candles a lot. Finding a scent that you love can change the way you walk down a crowded sidewalk and can allow you to leave an impression on people without even saying anything. We have all walked by someone and noticed that they smelled wonderful, so why not try to have that same impact on others as well. 

There are so many different types of fragrances, so I recommend taking one, or many, fragrance quizzes to see where you should start looking. These quizzes will help narrow down where you should start looking. Whether you are a light, floral fragrance lover, or a heavy musk icon, there are hundreds of fragrances that can help you gain your confidence while going about your day. 

I think there is a lot of power in having a signature scent. It may sound silly, but the fact that you get to impact people without having to say a word is powerful, especially for people who don’t find it easy to speak up. Getting told “you smell nice” is a wonderful compliment that makes anyone’s day just a little bit better.  

It may be tempting to try to find your signature scent on-lne, but I’m here to warn you, it might be tricky. I heavily recommend scent shopping in person. The descriptions of fragrances may seem glorious online, but I found that a lot of the time, the descriptions barely make any sense. But that is also what I love about fragrances. I love the whimsical gibberish of the base, mid, and top notes of a perfume. Scent shopping is pure fun, especially when you go with a fun group that is able to get on board with the silliness that is scent shopping. 

Another thing I have noticed is that people who work in the fragrance departments are lovely people. They understand that fragrance shopping is completely up to interpretation and that it’s a fun way to add another level to your presence. They also are superhuman;they can be around that many scents all day. 

Smelling something can transport you to a happy day, to being with someone you love. It also can remind you of what you have overcome. I can’t lie, I have a hard time smelling the perfume I wore in high school because a flood of memories comes back; but that just shows you how impactful having a signature scent can be. Scent is one of our most powerful senses, so it just makes “scents” that a signature scent can do so much for us.  

Nothing is better than smelling something that reminds you of a good experience with people you love. If you start trying to find your signature scent, you can have that effect on others. And if you ever need someone to come with, I would love to go!