Oscar Predictions 2018

By Grace Backus

Oscar Season is upon us! The biggest question and really the only one that actually matters is who is going to win. (The second biggest question is if they are going to announce the wrong best picture again. That was a mess.) So, I have decided to give you my Oscar predictions for the year. Mind you, this isn’t who I think should win. That’s a whole other story that I don’t have the time or really the energy to get into. This is who I think the Oscars will pick. So, not only am I taking into account how good the movies were but also Oscar politics, how studios promoted the films, and what films have won other award in the pre-Oscar season. I also am not going to give my picks for foreign language film, documentary short, documentary feature, animated short, and live action short. Those are hard to come by to watch and not nearly as promoted. So, here we go…

Makeup and Hairstyling: Victoria and Abdul

Costume Design: Phantom Thread

Production Design: The Shape of Water

Sound Editing: Baby Driver

Sound Mixing: Baby Driver

Original Score: The Shape of Water

Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049

Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049

Film Editing: Dunkirk

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name

Original Screenplay: Get Out

Original Song: “This is Me,” Greatest Showman (Special shout out to “Mystery of Love” from Call Me by Your Name. Currently listening to that song on repeat.)

Animated Feature Film: Coco (Special shout out to Loving Vincent because the amount of work and time that went into that movie is insane and worthy of all the praise)

Actor in a Supporting Role: Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Actress in a Supporting Role: Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Actor in a Leading Role: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Actress in a Leading Role: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Director: Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water

And last but not least…

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Hey, I’m might be totally wrong on all of these. The only way to know for sure is to watch the Oscars on March 4th.